trail away/offphrasal verb
trailed away/off; trailing away/off; trails away/off
Definition of trail away/off
—used to say that someone's voice becomes softer and softer and then stops She started asking him a question, but then her voice trailed off.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game