toy withphrasal verb
toyed with; toying with; toys with
Definition of toy with
1 : to think about (something) briefly and not very seriously I toyed with the idea of moving to France but ended up staying here.
2 : to move or touch (something) with one's fingers often without thinking She toyed with her hair while she talked on the phone.
3 : to deal with or control (someone or something) in a clever and usually unfair or selfish way Do you really love me, or are you just toying with me? Don't toy with my emotions.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game