tower above/overphrasal verb
Definition of tower above/over
1 : to be much taller than (someone or something) He towers over his sister. The two skyscrapers tower above the other buildings of the city.
2 : to be much better or more important than (someone or something) Her intellect towers above/over ours.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game