tower above/overphrasal verb
towered above/over; towering above/over; towers above/over
Definition of tower above/over
1 : to be much taller than (someone or something) He towers over his sister. The two skyscrapers tower above the other buildings of the city.
2 : to be much better or more important than (someone or something) Her intellect towers above/over ours.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game