tolu·ic acid | \ təˈlüik, ˈtälyəwik-\
Definition of toluic acid
: any of four isomeric crystalline carboxylic acids C7H7COOH derived from toluene and obtainable in the case of the ortho, meta, and para isomers CH3C6H4COOH by oxidation of the three corresponding xylenes — see phenylacetic acid
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?