Definition of tolu tree
: a widely distributed usually medium-sized tropical American tree (Myroxylon balsamum) that yields balsam of Peru and balsam of Tolu and a fragrant durable rather hard showily figured yellowish to reddish or purplish wood which takes a fine polish and is used for high-grade furniture and cabinetwork
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?