Definition of toad lily
1 : a showy Japanese herb (Tricyrtis hirta) of the family Melanthaceae that is often cultivated for its delicately spotted white flowers
2 : a common white water lily (Nymphaea odorata) of North America
3 : a cultivated bulbous herb (Fritillaria pyrenaica) of southern Europe with ill-smelling usually solitary wine-purple flowers
4 : an Indian lettuce (Montia chamissoi) of moist areas at high elevations of western North America with usually decumbent stems and axillary or terminal racemes of small white or pink flowers
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?