to all intents and purposesidiom
Definition of to all intents and purposes
—used to say that one thing has the same effect or result as something else Their decision to begin bombing was, to all intents and purposes, a declaration of war.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game