tip the balanceidiom
Definition of tip the balance
: to change a situation so that one person, group, etc., is more able or likely to succeed : to give an advantage to someone or something Both candidates are qualified, but her experience tips the balance in her favor.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?