tip one's cap/hatidiom
Definition of tip one's cap/hat
1 : to touch one's hat or cap or to lift it off one's head as a way of greeting or saying goodbye to someone He tipped his hat to her as she walked past.
2 —used informally to say that one admires or respects someone I really have to tip my hat to those people for all their hard work.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game