variants: or ticker \ ˈtikə(r) \
Definition of tikker
: a form of interrupter used in the early days of radio as a detector of continuous waves consisting of a rapidly rotating wheel and a fine wire brush with the current made and broken by momentary contacts between the brush and a continuous strip of conducting material in the rim of the wheel
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game