tighten upphrasal verb
tightened up; tightening up; tightens up
Definition of tighten up
: to become more strict or effective or to make (something) more strict or effective Security around the building has tightened up recently. They tightened up security around the building.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game