Definition of tied house
1 British : a business house that is under contract to buy of a particular firm especially : a public house rented from or mortgaged to a brewery with or through whom the local proprietor is pledged to do all his liquor buying
2 British : tied cottage
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?