tie oneself (up) in knotsidiom
Definition of tie oneself (up) in knots
1 : to cause problems for oneself from being too careful, trying too hard, etc. The mayor tied himself in knots answering a touchy political question.
2 : to become very upset or worried I don't know why they're tying themselves in knots over such a trivial problem.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game