Definition of tidal friction
: the frictional effect of the tidal wave especially in shallow waters lengthening the tidal epoch and tending to retard the rotational velocity of the earth and so increase very slowly the length of the day
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game