tick overphrasal verb
ticked over; ticking over; ticks over
Definition of tick over
1 chiefly British, of a vehicle's engine : to run at a very low speed
2 British : to run or proceed in a steady but slow way "How's business?" "Oh, just ticking over."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game