throw/knock (someone) off (his/her) strideidiom
Definition of throw/knock (someone) off (his/her) stride
: to cause (someone) to be unable to continue walking or running steadily. Another runner bumped into him and threw/knocked him off his stride. often used figuratively She was surprised and thrown off stride by the unexpected question.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?