get (something) through to (someone)idiom (1)
Definition of get (something) through to (someone)
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to express (something) clearly so that it is understood by (someone) I hope I've finally gotten my message through to him.
get through to (someone)idiom (2)
Definition of get through to (someone) (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : to be clearly expressed to and understood by (someone) I've talked to him many times, but I just can't seem to get through to him.
2 : to make a successful telephone call to (someone) Where were you? I've been trying to get through to you (on the phone) all day!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game