get (something) through to (someone)idiom (1)
Definition of get (something) through to (someone)
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to express (something) clearly so that it is understood by (someone) I hope I've finally gotten my message through to him.
get through to (someone)idiom (2)
Definition of get through to (someone) (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : to be clearly expressed to and understood by (someone) I've talked to him many times, but I just can't seem to get through to him.
2 : to make a successful telephone call to (someone) Where were you? I've been trying to get through to you (on the phone) all day!
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game