Definition of through the wringer
: through a series of very difficult or unpleasant experiences Those poor people have really gone/been through the wringer lately. They were put through the wringer by the adoption agency.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game