thirteen-lined ground squirrelnoun
variants: or less commonly thirteen-lined gopher \ ¦⸗ˌ⸗¦⸗- \
Definition of thirteen-lined ground squirrel
: a widely distributed western North American burrowing squirrel (Citellus tridecemlineatus) that is grayish brown and marked with a series of longitudinal white lines more or less broken into discrete spots
— called also leopard squirrel, striped ground squirrel
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game