Definition of third man
1 : an offside fielding position in cricket usually near the boundary and roughly in line with third slip and the striker also : a player fielding in this position
2 [ translation of Greek tritos anthrōpos ] : a logical paradox in which the attempt to pass from one thing to another or to relate one conception to another reveals the necessity of a third and intervening thing or conception and hence leads to an infinite regress
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game