thio·phenol | \ ¦thīō+\
Definition of thiophenol
1 : a mobile liquid mercaptan C6H5SH with a smell like garlic and with acid properties somewhat stronger than those of phenol that may be formed by the action of phosphorus pentasulfide on phenol but that is better synthesized by reduction of benzene-sulfonyl chloride
— called also phenyl mercaptan
2 : an aromatic mercaptan (as thiophenol)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game