variants: or less commonly thingie
Definition of thingy
: something that is hard to classify or whose name is unknown or forgotten : thing, thingamajig During the session in May 1996, the geophysicist's instruments became the "yellow thingy" and the "red thingy," and the … dog became the "brown furry thing."— M. Lee Goff "I need a socket thingie," announces a very focused 13-year-old girl. Like a seasoned mechanic, 14-year-old Sophia Rogstad plucks a ratchet off the tool wall and passes it to her classmate.— Lisa Wogan … one of those hash brown thingies that looked like a baked buffalo tongue.— Stephen King "Does he seem right to you?" Carl said. "Because to me he looks unhinged. And this business about the garage-door thingy? How does that make any sense?"— Richard Russo
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game