thi·an·threne | \ thīˈanˌthrēn\
Definition of thianthrene
: a crystalline heterocyclic parent compound C12H8S2 that is regarded as anthracene in which the two middle methylidyne groups are replaced by sulfur atoms and that is made by the action of sulfur chloride on benzene in the presence of aluminum chloride and in other ways
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?