the tip of the icebergnoun phrase
Definition of the tip of the iceberg
: a small part of something (such as a problem) that is seen or known about when there is a much larger part that is not seen or known about The news is shocking, but we may find out that the stories we've heard so far are just the tip of the iceberg.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game