Definition of the reverse
1 : something that is opposite to something else The river flows south to north, rather than the reverse. Women may play in the men's league, but not the reverse. Men have to play in their own league. You don't owe me any money. If anything, the reverse is true. "Did you think it would be difficult?" "Quite the reverse. I thought it would be easy." —often + of The ending of the book was the reverse of what I expected.
2 : the back side of a coin, document, etc. The building appears on the reverse of the coin. Please sign your name on the reverse.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game