Definition of the reverse
1 : something that is opposite to something else The river flows south to north, rather than the reverse. Women may play in the men's league, but not the reverse. Men have to play in their own league. You don't owe me any money. If anything, the reverse is true. "Did you think it would be difficult?" "Quite the reverse. I thought it would be easy." —often + of The ending of the book was the reverse of what I expected.
2 : the back side of a coin, document, etc. The building appears on the reverse of the coin. Please sign your name on the reverse.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game