the rank and filenoun
Definition of the rank and file
1 : the people in the army, navy, air force, etc., who are not officers
2 : the members of a group or organization who are not leaders The rank and file is/are unhappy with the chairman's decision.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game