Definition of the rack
: a machine used in the past to hurt people by stretching their bodies prisoners tortured on the rack —sometimes used figuratively The interviewer put me on the rack and asked some really tough questions.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game