the public domainnoun
Definition of the public domain
1 : the state of something that is not owned by a particular person or company and is available for anyone to use The software has entered the public domain. The software is in the public domain.
2 US : land that is owned by the government The forests are part of the public domain.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game