the present perfectnoun
Definition of the present perfect
: a verb tense that is used to refer to an action that began in the past and is completed at the time of speaking
Note: The present perfect in English is formed with "has" and "have" and the past participle of a verb, as in "He has left," and "They have found what they were looking for."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game