the pit of one's/the stomachidiom
Definition of the pit of one's/the stomach
: the part of a person's stomach where strong feelings of nervousness, excitement, etc., can be felt She felt a flutter in the pit of her stomach when he walked through the door.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?