the past perfectnoun
Definition of the past perfect
: the form of the verb that is used in referring to an action that was completed by a particular time in the past The past perfect in English is formed by using had and the past participle of a verb, as in "She had visited there once before."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?