the order of the daynoun phrase
Definition of the order of the day
: a characteristic or activity that is common during a particular period of time or in a particular situation Change was very much the order of the day in that time in our country's history. At the resort's outdoor café, bathing suits and sandals are the order of the day.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game