Definition of the man
1 or the Man, somewhat old-fashioned : the police He got in trouble with the Man and ended up in jail.
2 or the Man or less commonly The Man : the white people who are seen as having power in the U.S. : the white establishment He got a job working for the Man.
3 : a man who is admired or respected as a leader or as the best man in a particular field, sport, etc. The other players on the team all know that he's the man. You're the man!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game