the luck of the drawnoun phrase
Definition of the luck of the draw
—used to say that the result of something cannot be controlled and depends on chance The weather may be good or bad that day—it all depends on the luck of the draw.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game