the long arm of the lawnoun phrase
Definition of the long arm of the law
: the ability of the police to find and catch people who commit crimes The long arm of the law finally caught up with him 30 years later.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- April 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game