the law of averagesnoun phrase
Definition of the law of averages
: the idea or principle that something which can produce different results will produce those results in a regular or predictable way over a period of time I can't believe that team has lost 12 games in a row. The law of averages says that they should have won at least one game by now.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game