Definition of the imperfect
: the form of a verb used to express an incomplete action in the past or a state that continued for a period of time in the past In "He was singing when I came in," "was singing" is in the imperfect.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game