the high roadnoun
Definition of the high road
1 chiefly US : a morally proper way of doing something Several local news programs reported the rumor, but the city newspaper took the high road and waited to see if anyone could confirm the story.
2 : an easy way to do something The book claims to teach the high road to financial success.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game