the fact is/remainsidiom
Definition of the fact is/remains
—used to stress that a statement is true and that its truth is not affected or changed by a previous statement He may not have meant it, but the fact remains that he committed a crime.The company has struggled recently, but the fact is that they are still making a profit.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game