Definition of the elder
1 —used in comparing the ages of two people who are members of the same family He's the elder of her two brothers.
2 —used to refer to the older of two people (such as a father and son) who have the same name Pliny the Elder and his nephew Pliny the Younger
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?