Definition of the death penalty
: death as a punishment given by a court of law for very serious crimes : capital punishment If convicted, he could face the death penalty. She opposes the death penalty.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game