Definition of the clock
1 : a clock that is used in sports and that shows how much time remains for a particular part of a game They were winning by 2 points with 10 seconds (left) on the clock. They stopped the (game) clock with eight seconds remaining.
2 : a special clock that is used to record the times when an employee starts and stops working : time clock I punched the clock at 8:45 and started working right away.
3 chiefly British : a device that shows how far a vehicle has traveled a car with 100,000 miles on the clock
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?