Definition of the can
1 : the part of the body that one sits on : buttocks If you ask me, what he needs is a good kick in the can.
2 : a room with a toilet : bathroom He locked himself in the can and wouldn't come out.
3 : toilet sitting on the can
4 : a prison or jail The cops threw him in the can.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?