the bottom drops/falls outidiom
Definition of the bottom drops/falls out
—used of something that suddenly fails or becomes unable to continue in a normal and effective way Analysts warn that recent changes in the region may result in the bottom dropping out of the oil market.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?