the big leaguesplural noun
Definition of the big leagues
: the two highest U.S. baseball leagues (the American League and the National League) He always dreamed of playing in the big leagues. —often used figuratively She's moving up to the big leagues in the television industry.She's in the big leagues now, working for a major law firm in a large city.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game