the big leaguesplural noun
Definition of the big leagues
: the two highest U.S. baseball leagues (the American League and the National League) He always dreamed of playing in the big leagues. —often used figuratively She's moving up to the big leagues in the television industry.She's in the big leagues now, working for a major law firm in a large city.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game