Definition of the best
: the best person or thing Out of all of my workers, he's the best. I have one more gift for you, and I saved the best for last. Our store sells nothing but the best. They want the best for their children. —often used with of Even in the best of times, we had trouble paying our bills.We were the best of friends.I have a wonderful family and a great job, so I feel that I have the best of both worlds.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game