Definition of the best
: the best person or thing Out of all of my workers, he's the best. I have one more gift for you, and I saved the best for last. Our store sells nothing but the best. They want the best for their children. —often used with of Even in the best of times, we had trouble paying our bills.We were the best of friends.I have a wonderful family and a great job, so I feel that I have the best of both worlds.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game