Definition of the baroque
: a period in the 17th and early 18th centuries in which art and music was characterized by use of complex forms, bold ornamentation, and the juxtaposition of contrasting elements The museum is exhibiting paintings from the baroque.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game