Definition of the baroque
: a period in the 17th and early 18th centuries in which art and music was characterized by use of complex forms, bold ornamentation, and the juxtaposition of contrasting elements The museum is exhibiting paintings from the baroque.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game