Definition of the Senate
1 : the smaller group of the two groups of people who meet to discuss and make the laws of a country, state, etc. the New York State Senate especially : the smaller group of the two groups that form the U.S. Congress —often used before another noun the Senate race the Senate majority leader
2 : the group of officials who led the ancient Roman government
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?