the Devilnoun (1)
Definition of the Devil
(Entry 1 of 2)
: the most powerful spirit of evil in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam who is often represented as the ruler of hell
the devilnoun (2)
Definition of the devil (Entry 2 of 2)
1 —used to make a statement or question more forceful What the devil are you talking about?Where the devil have you been?
2 : something that is very difficult or that causes a lot of trouble The shoes look great, but they're the devil to walk in.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game