the Devilnoun (1)
Definition of the Devil
(Entry 1 of 2)
: the most powerful spirit of evil in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam who is often represented as the ruler of hell
the devilnoun (2)
Definition of the devil (Entry 2 of 2)
1 —used to make a statement or question more forceful What the devil are you talking about?Where the devil have you been?
2 : something that is very difficult or that causes a lot of trouble The shoes look great, but they're the devil to walk in.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game