te·tron·ic acid | \ te‧ˈtränik-\
Definition of tetronic acid
: a crystalline enolic lactone C4H4O3 that has acidic properties and is the parent compound of acidic compounds obtained by the fermenting action of a mold (Penicillium charlesii) from spoiled corn
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game